Re: st: predictions after spsurv

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: predictions after spsurv
Date   Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:02:02 -0500

-spsurv- is by Stephen Jenkins, and it doesn't provide a -predict-
option.  One possible reason that  a single prediction doesn't make
sense with time-dependent predictors.

I couldn't get -spsurv- to run the cancer example in its -help-
without omitting the "drug" variable, but the results appear to be the
same with and without version control.

If you do not have time-dependent predictors, you can create your own
predicted values
(See 13.5 in the V11 User manual).

For example,  I ran the following command for the cancer data model in
the -help file for -spsurv-

spsurv dead logt  age, id(id) seq(t)

The linear  predictor  for time t is found by:

x_t = hazard[_cons] + _b[logt]*logt _b[age]*age

The discrete interval survival probability  for interval t is:
g_t =   exp(-exp(x_t))

The  probability  s_T for survival up to time T for the non-cured part
of the data is the product of the g_t for t<=T.  It will probably be
better to add the logs of the g's and then exponentiate.

Finally the estimated probability of cure up to T is given by c + (1-c)*s_T

c is in e(curep) or can be computed as exp([cure_p]_cons)

The log(t) distribution form is very restrictive.  Better, I think to
group the data into larger intervals and estimate a separate parameter
for each one, as Stephen recommends

-Steve

Steven Samuels
[email protected]