st: re: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. .

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. .
Date   Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:10:15 -0500

<>
Roy said

Is it my imagination or have people stopped contributing anything really clever lately?
By my count of Stata items dated '2009' on
http://ideas.repec.org/s/boc/bocode.html
there are 105 new items in the SSC Archive this calendar year. Admittedly whether they are 'really clever' is in the eye of the beholder. As 11 of those new routines are written by Roy Wada, perhaps they exemplify the disappointing lack of cleverness that he decries. Or, alternatively, perhaps they are the only truly clever code among the 105, and the rest are soemwhat pedestrian and derivative works. Although Roy's points about proper attribution are certainly well taken, the hyperbole suggesting that user-programmers have recently been dissuaded from writing and sharing code via the SSC Archive due to failures of attribution (or any other cause) appears to be somewhat ludicrous, and hardly supported by empirical observation.
Kit