Re: AW: st: How to create a random number identifier number

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: AW: st: How to create a random number identifier number
Date   Thu, 12 Nov 2009 17:52:32 -0500

With the data still sorted by HH, couldn't you simply replace the random number with the random number of the first observation (within HH). Immediately after generating the random sortvar:

by hhid: replace sortvar=sortvar[1]

- Nick Winter
Anna Reimondos wrote:
I sucessfully implemented the solution proposed, and checked that
these were in fact unique identifiers. However I then ran into another
problem, when trying to do a similar thing for households!

Each of the 11,000 people live in households (around 5,000 households
in total) and there is a unique 5 digit household identifier which can
be used to see which people live in the same household. In other
words, several persons (identified by personid) live in the same
household (hhid). In the same way as I did for the "personid"  I would
also like to create a new household identifier, that has five digits
and is unique.

Example:

person  hhid       "newhhid"
1          25643    13584
2          25643    13584
3          68534     34257

I tried modifying the code for the person id, and applying it to the
household id but this does not work because I can't randomly sort them
using the 'sortvar' variable, because it then loses the natural
ordering of the same household being on consecutive lines. My current
solution works I think but it means I keep only one line per
household, save off a new dataset, randomly sort it , create the new
identifier and then merge it back in. ...Would there be a way to do it
, while still "staying" in the original dataset?

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Save dataset

capture drop sortvar                                   //As before-
random number for random sorting
gen sortvar=1 + int(12759*uniform())
replace sortvar=sortvar+10000 if sort<10000

bysort hhid: gen numbers=_N                //How many people live in
the household
keep  hhid numbers sortvar

bysort ehhrhid: gen first=_n if _n==1      //Identify the 1
observation in each household
keep if first==1                                    //keep only 1
observation (first) per household

sort sortvar                                          //randomly sort the data
gen newhhid =_n                                  //new household Id
replace newhhid=newhhid+100000 if newhhid<=10000

expand numbers                                    //Expand so each
household has as many rows as people in household
sort ehhrhid

*Merge back this dataset using hhid, into the original dataset.

My original problem has been solved, and my current solution kind of
works but I would be interested to hear if any one has a more elegant
way of doing this...
Thanks very much,
Anna