st: is there a -hexdump- command for variables?

From   Ada Ma <>
Subject   st: is there a -hexdump- command for variables?
Date   Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:26:24 +0000

Hi Statalisters,

The -hexdump- command screens a file to check out what characters
appear within a file.  I am hoping to do something similar - but only
with a subset of the variables within the data.

I know that I can do it by saving the variables in a separate file,
and do a -hexdump- on that file.  I am just wondering if there are
other command which would allow me to save that step.

I have a couple dozens of string varibles and I want to check that
they only have alphabetical and numerical characters within them, and
strip out the characters which aren't.  It's kind of hard to know what
I need to strip out if I don't know what are in there to be strip out.
 Thus my question above.

Many thanks for your help in advance!!

Ada Ma
Research Fellow