Re: st: AW: Stata 10 is Malware (also version 11?)

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: Stata 10 is Malware (also version 11?)
Date   Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:34:08 +0000

Demo Crazy wrote:
> Therefore the original Stata itself (not version modified by others as gus from Stata suggest)
> includes undocumented functions: this is definition of MALWARE. Is it including also other
> undocumentd parts of code that allows it to steal my personal data?

No idea where you're getting your definition of Malware from but its a
portmanteau of "Malicious Software" and it means that the software
will damage your system without you being aware.  Try reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware for a better understanding of the
terminology you are mis-applying before you start ranting.

What you've described is simply that Stata does not behave as expected
when used with an illegal license.  This does NOT damage your computer
(unless you have evidence that damage has been caused by doing so, but
you've not mentioned it).

Its not particularly surprising either, at least to me.  If Stata is
coded/written in such a manner that a valid license is required for
functions to work properly its not surprising that it doesn't work as
expected with an invalid license!!

No one's stiffling your freedom of speech, but your not making much sense.

You might also find the following article informative
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_activation for a better idea of
how product activation, which is what is happening here.

Neil
--
"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/