Re: st: RE: RE: Suppress col total in tab2, tabout?

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: Suppress col total in tab2, tabout?
Date   Thu, 05 Nov 2009 13:33:41 -0500

The difficulty of producing nicely formatted output is one of my
biggest kvetches about Stata. I currently proceed with a combination
of Stata and SSC utilities, each of which seems to have been written
from scratch and thus with little consistency in how they work, and
with a bunch of utilities I have written which use -file write-
to create SMCL output which can be converted to PDF. None of it
is very satisfactory.

Nick Cox wrote:
The situation reminds me of graphics before Stata 8. 1. The commands have got into a bit of a collective mess.
2. Some key tasks can only be dealt with by using user-written commands.

3. Of course, we want not just output in Stata but also output in other
file formats too, across platforms and across the range from *TeX to
Excel.
4. So we all want is an integrated, versatile and flexible set of
commands. Oh, and they should be very simple to use and concisely
documented. Oh, and totally programmable via Mata. Roll on the [T] manual. I cam visualize it now. 600 pages already... Nick [email protected]
Philip Ryan

This thread is the latest in the long history of users expressing their
desire for more customised tabular output than is currently possible
with
Stata. As I suppose would be the case at every Stata users group
meeting,
the "wishes and grumbles" session at today's 3rd Australian and New
Zealand
Stata Users' Group conference in Sydney raised the issue with Alan Riley
and
Bobby Gutierrez. The gist of the response was "we are interested and we
are
looking at it, but there are substantial challenges".