st: re: Possible to have different colours for by() groups in histogram?

From   Philip Jones <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: Possible to have different colours for by() groups in histogram?
Date   Wed, 04 Nov 2009 07:39:36 -0500

Many thanks for the help Nick! That works perfectly. My apologies for having inadvertently sent the message in HTML.

For others who may be searching about this question, it seems like you only need to include by(group) once in the command (with or without turning off the legend). Just a small point I found out running the command both ways.

Thank you again,

Phil

Please do not send HTML to the list.

. twoway histogram ease if group==1, color(red) gap(5) discrete freq
by(group) ///
|| histogram ease if group == 2, color(blue) by(group, legend(off))
discrete freq xla(1/5)  gap(5)

Philip Jones

I would like to know if it is possible in Stata to have different
colours for plots in histograms created using the by() option. For
instance, if I would like to plot frequencies of a Likert scale about
the ease of a process (from 1 to 5) in two separate groups, I can
generate a nice histogram using the by() option, but both "sides" (or
plots) of the graph are the same colour.

For instance,

input group ease
1 1
1 2
1 3
1 3
1 3
1 3
1 4
1 5
1 5
2 2
2 2
2 2
2 3
2 3
2 4
2 4
2 5
2 5
end
graph twoway histogram ease, by(group) discrete frequency xtick(1(1)5)
xlabel(1(1)5) gap(5) color(red)

This gives me a histogram, but I would like a different colour for each
plot - say red for the plot on the left and blue for the one on the
right.

I am sure there is a trivial way of achieving this, but I haven't been
able to find it. The barlook_options are not valid for histograms, and
using the graph editor to alter the colour also results in both plots
becoming the same colour.