st: RE: Submitting a command in a couples of pieces

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Submitting a command in a couples of pieces
Date   Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:04:11 -0000

As Martin has explained, it is certainly possible. The reason most
people don't know about it is probably that in most cases it is a very
bad idea. That need not apply to your situation, but if I had 3000 odd
data files I would even more inclined than usual to automate everything.

Adrian Sayers

I was wondering if you might be able to help me?

I am trying to submit a command in a number of stages.

Basically i want stata to ask me a question, then i want to key the
response, and then i want stata to run a program. It sounds a little
pointless but i am trying read in 3000 odd data files plot them and then

trim the file to the relevant section.

di "What is the first day of data collection?"
Type 3
di "Day of first data collection = 3"
drop if day<3

I am wondering if this is possible.