st: Submitting a command in a couples of pieces

From   Adrian Sayers <>
Subject   st: Submitting a command in a couples of pieces
Date   Thu, 29 Oct 2009 15:20:59 +0000

I was wondering if you might be able to help me?

I am trying to submit a command in a number of stages.

Basically i want stata to ask me a question, then i want to key the response, and then i want stata to run a program. It sounds a little pointless but i am trying read in 3000 odd data files plot them and then trim the file to the relevant section.

di "What is the first day of data collection?"
Type 3
di "Day of first data collection = 3"
drop if day<3

I am wondering if this is possible.

i am using stata version 9.2

Many thanks

Adrian Sayers
Medical Statistician
University of Bristol
Dept. of Rheumatology
Dept of Social Medicine,
Oakfield House,
Oakfield Grove,
Bristol BS8 2BN

Temp No. 0117 3310054 (10054 internally)