RE: st: AW: AW: sum of many variables

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: AW: AW: sum of many variables
Date   Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:00:09 -0000

As the order of variables is quite immaterial to their sum, another
possibility is to use a wildcard such as -x*-. As always you need to
check that it picks up exactly what you want and no more.

Andrea Rispoli

Thank you very much!

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Martin Weiss <>
> Note, however, that there is a hazard involved when specifying a
> that encompasses all variables between "x1" and "xn" via the dash
> The number of variables between them changes with the -sort- order, as
> after -describe- (see [U], page 101, example 14). So next time you run
> code, the result could be different. Issuing an explicit -sort- or
> could save you trouble.
> Also note that the -sum()- function would give you a running sum, and
> accepts only a -varname-, not a -varlist-...
Martin Weiss

> egen x=rowtotal(x1-xn)

Andrea Rispoli