st: string functions

From   Miranda Kim <>
Subject   st: string functions
Date   Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:27:54 +0000

I have a basic question on using string functions to do the following:
I have variable labels that have various units in brackets: (cm) (cm sq) etc. and I want to remove these from the label. How can I search a string for the portion between brackets (including the brackets) and replace this with a blank? For example if my variable area has the following label: "area (cm sq) of ..."
I want to replace the label with : "area of ..."
I have many variables so I want to automate this rather than having to type in individual labels...
I use stata v10
Many thanks!