Re: st: AW: Too much time to draw a graph

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: AW: Too much time to draw a graph
Date   Wed, 21 Oct 2009 08:35:01 +0000 (GMT)

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen
Wilhelmstrasse 36
72074 Tuebingen

---- Shoji TOKUNAGA asked:
> I have a problem on drawing a graph with my Stata.  It
> takes too much time.
> I am running Stata 11/MP on Japanese version of Windows
> XP. After I input a line of histogram command on the command
> window, I cannot get the graph even after 10 minutes.

--- Jackson, Theron Keith answered:
> I just waited 3 days for a xtmelogit
> model to run.

These are two very different problems. Shoji Tokunaga is totally
justified in expecting Stata to draw a histogram in much much less
than 10 minutes, so the reported problem is an indication that there
is either a bug, or that something went wrong with the instalation.
It is however totally normal, given the computational difficulties,
that a model like -xtmelogit- takes multiple days to run.

--- Martin Weiss answered:
> Also look at the SJ tip

That is generally a very useful Stata Tip, but is not applicable
to a histogram, as the individual data points are not plotted.

The best thing Shoji Tokunaga can do is contact Stata's Tech

Hope this helps,