st: AW: RE: combination foreach forvalues

Subject   st: AW: RE: combination foreach forvalues
Date   Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:27:25 +0200

<>

"-encode- does
precisely this."

I remember there being an issue with the order of the codes that -encode-
assigns, that is why I was reluctant to recommend it. Is that not an issue
here?

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Nick Cox
Gesendet: Dienstag, 20. Oktober 2009 12:17
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: RE: combination foreach forvalues

This doesn't require either -foreach- or -forvalues-. -encode- does
precisely this.

Alternatively,

bysort stringvar : gen newvar = _n == 1
replace stringvar = sum(stringvar)

or

egen newvar = group(stringvar)

There is not much to explain about combining -foreach- and -forvalues-,
as you just do it if and when you need it, typically by nesting one
inside the other. But that's not the case here.

John Bunge

I have a string variable x1 with a list of values. I want to create a
numerical variable x2 in which the numbers correspond to the string
values in x1 in an ordered fashion (as a counter).

To illustrate, lets assume x1 contains all letters of the alphabet, and
I want x2 to contain a counter that corresponds to the position of the
letter in the alphabet, i.e. x1=a > x2=1, x1=b > x2=2, x1=c > x2=3,
etc...

This seems to me like a combination of foreach and forvalues, but I
cannot find information on whether and how such thing is implementable
in Stata.