st: RE: Re: catching typos

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Re: catching typos
Date   Tue, 6 Oct 2009 20:57:46 +0200

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Matthias Wasser
Sent: Dienstag, 6. Oktober 2009 20:53
Subject: st: Re: catching typos

I'm working with a dataset of several million observations identified
by, among other things, string variables. I have a list against which
I check these to determine if they belong to a certain category. So
far, so good.

What I would like to do is catch typos, so that "Republic of Frrance"
gets caught by "Republic of France" or whatever. Simon Moore had a
similar request
(; like
him, I occassionally have multiple words per string, but the kind
just a few likely substitutions, while I have a couple hundred "red
lion" equivalents and no idea of what the likely typos for them are.
The Giuliano code might work, though, even if I don't understand its
internals. Is Levenshtein distance generally considered the best way
to search for typos? What edit distance is generally considered

Thanks so much in advance.