Re: st: AW: constant in the suest command

From   "Flora Hofmann" <>
Subject   Re: st: AW: constant in the suest command
Date   Thu, 01 Oct 2009 14:43:32 +0200

I am sorry if my question was too confused to answer. The main reason for estimating the equations as a system is that I want to test cross equation restrictions.

The problem is that I want to estimate the equations without a constant. Here is what I did:

qui reg lny1 b1x1 b2x2 b3x3 year_dummies country_dummies, noc
est sto y1

qui reg lny2 b4x4 b5x5 b6x6 year_dummies country_dummies, noc
est sto y2

qui reg lny3 b7x7 b8x8 b9x9 year_dummies country_dummies, noc
est sto y3

suest y1 y2 y3

The output however always reports a constant for each of the three equations as well. For example under the heading 'y1_mean' it reports the coefficients and s.e. for all included variables and then under the heading 'y1_lnvar'a constant is reported. It is this constant that is puzzeling. I am probably just missing some basic feature of -suest-. However, I couldn't find any explanation for the reason and interpretation of this constant.

flora hofmann

> Careful! The association between -suest- and -sureg- is rather loose, in
> spite of similar names.
> You may want to show your output with the "constant" issue to enable
> Statalisters to answer your question...
> Martin
> Dear statalist,
> I want to estimate a system of equations. Since heteroscedasticity seems
> be an issue and according to the 'Breusch-Pagan test of independence'
> there
> are no efficiency gains from -sureg- I decided to use -suest-.
> The equations are estimated by fixed effects. In order to be able to use
> -suest- I estimated the equations using -regress- and including a full set
> of time and country dummy variables while dropping the constant. However,
> -suest- keeps returning a constant. What constant is that? And how can it
> be
> interpreted?
> Thanks for your consideration (of this rather basic question)
> Flora Hofmann
> --

Jetzt freischalten unter