RE: st: AW: ksmirnov

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: AW: ksmirnov
Date   Tue, 29 Sep 2009 19:18:25 +0100

I don't know why I said that because it isn't true. In fact, I was
overlooking my own work...

In terms of the original example,

webuse wpi1
g returns = D.ln_wpi

and given a download of -qplot- from the Stata Journal site, you can go

qplot returns, trscale(invttail(6, 1 - @)) xli(0) yli(0)

Alternatively, you can do it from first principles

count if !missing(returns)
local N = r(N)
sort returns
gen quantilet = invttail(6, 1 - (_n - 0.5) / `N')
scatter returns quantilet , xli(0) yli(0)

For (_n - 0.5) / `N', substitute any other plotting position formula.
For "6" substitute any other desired df.

In this example, the fit is lousy: the mean is a long way from zero and
the distribution is not even symmetric.

See also for a meant-to-be-encouraging note

SJ-7-2  gr0027  . .  Stata tip 47: Quantile-quantile plots without
programming
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N.
J. Cox
        Q2/07   SJ 7(2):275--279                                 (no
commands)
        tip on producing various quantile-quantile (Q-Q) plots

That and 75 other tips have just been reprinted in

Seventy-six Stata Tips, 2nd Edition
Publisher: Stata Press
Copyright: 2009
ISBN-10: 1-59718-071-8
ISBN-13: 978-1-59718-071-9
Pages:  177; paperback
Price:  $29.00

<http://www.stata.com/bookstore/tips2.html>

Nick Cox
========

You'd need to clone one or more existing programs, e.g. -qnorm-, -pnorm-
and replace code there with code specific to the t-distribution.

I am not familiar with the etiquette on fitting t-distributions. Isn't
the df in effect a parameter to be estimated? Otherwise, there would
need to be some justification for using a particular df.

tzygmund mcfarlane
==================

Thanks for your replies Martin & Nick.

Martin: My question was actually simpler - was my procedure correct?

That is, should the data be standardised by an estimate of the scale
before using the Kolmogorov-Smirnov procedure or is that not
necessary?

Also, from the help file for chi2fit by Stas Kolenikov I could not
figure out how to implement it for a t-distribution. Any help will be
appreciated.

Nick: I am particularly interested in deviation from a t-distribution.
My data is almost certainly non-normal. I agree about the merits of
plotting it, but am not aware of any tools for my particular case. Any
ideas?