Re: st: Re: -smcl2ps- page break?

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   Re: st: Re: -smcl2ps- page break?
Date   Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:32:53 -0400

Well, that's quite helpful. Thanks much.

Joseph Coveney wrote:
Jeph Herrin wrote:

To create a number of reports I'm writing SMCL out
to ASCII files, then using the -translate- utility
with the -smcl2ps- option to create postscript.

This works fairly well, except that I would like to
insert page breaks at places as I create the SMCL files.
Obviously, SMCL doesn't need or support page breaks, I
want the PS files to break. Anyone know any tricks for
doing this?

You can try the undocumented SMCL directive, {newpage}.

It's not perfect--you have to watch out for asynchrony with other sources of page breaks, which causes the PostScript file's running page count to deviate from the number of page-delimiter statements--and so it might require some tinkering in order to get its placement just right. Still and all, it's handy, and I use it nearly every time that I'm producing PostScript output from Stata.

Joseph Coveney