st: Re: -smcl2ps- page break?

From   "Joseph Coveney" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: -smcl2ps- page break?
Date   Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:59:35 +0900

Jeph Herrin wrote:

To create a number of reports I'm writing SMCL out
to ASCII files, then using the -translate- utility
with the -smcl2ps- option to create postscript.

This works fairly well, except that I would like to
insert page breaks at places as I create the SMCL files.
Obviously, SMCL doesn't need or support page breaks, I
want the PS files to break. Anyone know any tricks for
doing this?

You can try the undocumented SMCL directive, {newpage}.

It's not perfect--you have to watch out for asynchrony with other sources of
page breaks, which causes the PostScript file's running page count to deviate
from the number of page-delimiter statements--and so it might require some
tinkering in order to get its placement just right.

Still and all, it's handy, and I use it nearly every time that I'm producing
PostScript output from Stata.

Joseph Coveney