Re: st: Difference in Difference for Proportions

From   Misha Spisok <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Difference in Difference for Proportions
Date   Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:49:40 -0700

Many Thanks, Austin and Jeph!

The Norton, Wang, and Ai SJ article was very informative.  Also, the
code examples clarified some things and, of course, raised more
questions.

If it is not kosher to post follow-up questions on the same thread,
please let me know and I will re-post as new questions.  Otherwise, my
follow-up questions are below.

The short version is, what's the difference between -blogit- and
-logit-?  Or, more accurately, in the context of grouped data, which
standard error estimate is correct?

If, after using Austin's example, I run the following:

logit union t south txsouth [pw=f]

and

blogit y pop t south txsouth

I get, as expected (or hoped, in my case), the same coefficients.  The
standard errors are smaller in -blogit- because, as I might
understand, -blogit- is considering pop to be the number of
observations per row, so the number of "effective" observations is the
sum of pop.

I think this explains the difference in the standard errors.
Specifically, with some minor adjustment for the "robustified" -logit-
standard errors, the relationship between -logit- and -blogit-
standard errors is something like the following:

s_blogit = sqrt(s_logit^2*(n_logit - k)/(n_blogit - k))

where s_blogit is the se from -blogit-, s_logit is the se from
-logit-, n_logit is the number of observation from -logit-, n_blogit
is the number of observations from -blogit-, and k is the number of
dependent variables, including the constant.

It strikes me that the standard errors from -blogit- are more
reasonable, given the actual number of observations that lie behind
the summarized data.  Thus, it seems that the standard errors from
using -inteff- will be as incorrect as those from -logit- for
summarized data.  While I could use the formula from Ai and Norton
(2003) to calculate the standard error for the interaction term using
the variance-covariance matrix returned after -blogit-, would this be
making a mistake?

My data are not survey data.  They are "actual" data, in the sense
that f is the true number of people with the condition and pop is the
true population.

Thanks again,

Misha
(Using Stata 10.1)