Re: st: graph export - TIF -

From   Michael Hanson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: graph export - TIF -
Date   Thu, 10 Sep 2009 18:21:20 -0400

 .

Fred:

It doesn't look like there are any -tif_options- of -graph export- that will help you. However, you might be able to export the files as PDF or EPS and then convert them to TIFF -- assuming that the PDF or EPS output is at a higher DPI. (I'm not sure about that; you'll need to experiment.)

Some potential ways to do the conversion:

1. Preview (included as part of Mac OS X)
2. GraphicConverter (3rd party application: <http://www.lemkesoft.com/>)
3. sips (Unix command; standard with Mac OS X)

Suggestions 1 and 2 are GUI-based and thus both easy to use and best if you only have a relatively small number of images to convert a relatively small number of times. (That said, you may be able to create an Automator script -- particularly for Preview -- that could automate the process for a large number of files. In fact, you could attach the Automator script to a folder so that any EPS and/or PDF file saved to a particular folder is automatically converted to TIFF format.)

Suggestion 3 requires some level of comfort with the Unix CLI of Terminal on Mac OS X. Type "man sips" at a Terminal prompt or look at <http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/sips.1.html >. N.B. the "dpiHeight" and "dpiWidth" image property keys. (Disclaimer: I have not tried this approach, and also may require some experimentation to get it right.) Once you find the appropriate syntax of the sips command, you should be able to call it directly from Stata with the -shell- command (or the "bang": !).

Of course, there is always option 4: contact the editor of the journal and ask nicely if they have the ability to use another format that you _can_ create within Stata.

Hope this helps,
Mike