R: st: R: reporting time dependent covariates in cox regression

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   R: st: R: reporting time dependent covariates in cox regression
Date   Fri, 4 Sep 2009 11:29:48 +0200

Dear Moleps,
in the first part of my previous reply I misunderstood that, from the very start of your message, you focused on tvc and not on proportional hazard condition only.

<Cleves is a good book, [...] they dont either give any clues as to how results with -tvc-should be presented.>

I agree with you that more examples can help readers. Hopefully this might be improved in the next edition of this helpful textbook.
However, at pag 169 of the revised edition (par 10.5.1), authors report a brief description of the output of

. stcox protect, tvc(init_drug_level) texp(exp(-0.35*_t))

and highlight that

"The hazard ratio 0.8848 is now interpreted as those with higher drug levels in their bloodstreams have a lower risk of having a hip fracture"

as far as the time-varying variable is concerned.

As a temptative hint, I was wondering whether the same approach  - that is, splitting the Cox regression table to allow for constant-with-time variables (rh) and time-varying-variables (t) Hazard Ratios to be separately reported; describing in the Results section of your research report what causes your Hazard Ratios to differ - may match with your research aims.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Kind Regards and All the Best for your research project,
Carlo