st: Survey design degrees of freedom help

From   Jennifer Schmitt <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Survey design degrees of freedom help
Date   Thu, 03 Sep 2009 10:26:06 -0500

Hello everyone,
I need some important clarification about the design degrees of freedom for stratified clustered survey analysis. I have data that was stratified by three areas (NW, SW, and E). We randomly chose villages from these three areas, then chose 5 subvillages within the village and within the subvillage we chose households (the unit of interest for my analysis). I am running logistic regressions with PSU = village, strata = area and probability weights. My design degrees of freedom are 16 (PSU-strata-one for the constant term). I get that. What I do not understand is WHY and how to explain to others unfamiliar with STATA that it is correct, any answers to this would be greatly appreciated. The reason this is an issue is that I want to test more than 16 variables at once and obviously I can't with only 16 df. Thank you.
Jennifer

--
Jennifer Schmitt
PhD Candidate - Conservation Biology Program