st: Snow Leopard breaks Stata file util commands

From   Nikos Askitas <>
Subject   st: Snow Leopard breaks Stata file util commands
Date   Mon, 31 Aug 2009 12:58:30 +0200

I have recently installed Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6) on my Macbook Pro
(newly purchased) and now "shell, ls, dir" etc do not work in StataSE 10.

To be more precise everything is just fine in command line stata but they break in GUI stata. MacOS pops up the debugger with a post mordem the most interesting
part of which (and probably the root of the problem is):
Application Specific Information:
abort() called

It should be noted that stata GUI stata does not really crash. This indicates that the message above describes the situation: GUI stata is threading without an exec before and this is no longer
allowed in Mac OS 10.6. This crashes the thread but not the application.

Large parts of my code relies on the stata file utils and hence is not working any more. Chances are stata 11 has the same issues. If anybody from stata is listening a quick fix would be greatly