Re: st: Stata and R

Subject   Re: st: Stata and R
Date   Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:47:43 -0500

What happens to ProbCE object that you create here? That might be what
you tried to rbind, rather than INB in your last line of the cycle. I
would assume this is what you want to do.

As always, there are multiple ways of getting what you need there. You
were given a Mata solution, which looks an overkill to me, and hardly
is directly usable in further analysis. If you want a Stata variable
as a result, there are two ways of going there.

1. A somewhat clumsy way of trying to have everyting in the same data
set: assume that you have -eff- and -cost- variables for each
observation. Then you could do this:

capture noisily set obs 1000
* might give you an error message if you already have more than 1000
observations;
* we might want to capture that error message
gen INBsign = .
gen ceas = .
* this is what we will fill in

gen n = _n in 1/1000
* _n is the notation for the current observation number
* the range restriction limits the values to be from 1 to 1000

forvalues n=1/1000 {
   * n is what is known as a local macro in Stata jargon;
   * has a special reference format with opening and closing quotes
   replace INBsign = (eff*`n' - cost>0)
   sum INBsign, meanonly
   replace ceas = r(mean) in `n'
   * uses the return value from -summarize- command
   * replaces a single value in `n'-th line of data
}

2. What I think is a more elegant solution is to create a separate
Stata data set. In your R code, you create a separate ceas object;
unfortunately Stata can only think of one data set in memory:

postfile topost n probce using ceas, replace
* declares a new file ceas.dta to be created that is to contain two
variables, n and probce
count if ~missing(eff)
local denom = r(N)
* again, it is using the return value of the previous command
forvalues n=1/1000 {
   count if eff*`n'-cost > 0
   post topost (`n') ( r(N)/`denom' )
   * writes a new line to the ceas data set
}
postclose topost
use ceas, clear

HTH, Stas