Re: st: GPUs and statistical computing

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: GPUs and statistical computing
Date   Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:04:19 +0100

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 2:54 AM, Mike Wazowski<> wrote:
> and yes, these days nvidia does support double precision.

You mean there never used to be?  That's probably why I was so crap at
First-Person-Shooters like Quake and Half-Life when I used to play
them years ago :D

More seriously, the other GPU manufacturer (ATi, now made by AMD)
support double precision too (although I've
always been an nVidia buyer as theire GNU/Linux drivers are kept more
up-to-date and function better).

"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data." ~ John Tukey (1986), "Sunset salvo". The American
Statistician 40(1).

Email -
Website -
Photos -