st: Query on how to re-link variables to their original name tag after mkmat and svmat manipulations

From   Marwan Elkhoury <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Query on how to re-link variables to their original name tag after mkmat and svmat manipulations
Date   Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:17:27 +0200

dear Statalist,

Sorry to bother you with this query, but I'm not sure how to solve it besides from doing it 'by hand', which is tedious, given that I end up with some 16 different tables.

I'm running a model which calculates some world country indices, using principal component analysis to calculate the various weights for each variable. In order to do the exercise, I've placed all my variables in a big matrix, using 'mkmat' command, together with the 'encoded' list of countries related to these variables in order to keep track of who's country each measure is related. when I finish estimating the weights, I get back the final result with 'svmat' command.

However, when I try to 'decode' the country list encoded variable, it does not return me the original country list but their initial order in the country list. is there a way to get back the names of countries and not a number representing their order on the country list ?

I'm not sure whether I made myself clear and I apologize for my cryptic language;

many thanks in advance for your help and comments

Marwan Elkhoury
[email protected]
using Stata10