st: svyset for survey with oversampling

From   千早 ケンジ <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: svyset for survey with oversampling
Date   Sat, 22 Aug 2009 02:00:35 +0900

Dear Statalist Members

It is my first post to this list. My name is Guilherme Kenji Chihaya and I am currently a graduate student in Tohoku University, Japan. I am using a data set called Life Histories and Social Change in Contemporary China. It is a survey in which the rural and urban populations of China were treated as different populations and each one was sampled for about 4000 samples using multistage sampling with clustering.

The proportion of China's rural population was about 70% by the time of the survey, however, this survey is designed so that it accounts for 50% of the whole sample if you try to analyse the two samples together. Besides this problem, it still has all the other biases caused by multistage clustering.

I wonder if it is possible to use svyset to correct all these biases so that I can analyse the two samples as one single dataset. The codebook for the survey is incomplete, it states that the data is supposed to be analysed using Stata complex samples functionality but the part about how to use it is unfinished in the available version. There are variables identifying the primary sample unit and the stratum used for sampling. However, I don't know how to deal with the rural-urban disproportionality.

I would appreciate if someone could help me with this, especially if there is anybody in this list that is familiar with this dataset.

Guilherme Kenji Chihaya