Re: st: degenerate normal (mild annoyance)

From (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
Subject   Re: st: degenerate normal (mild annoyance)
Date   Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:15:25 -0500

Al Feiveson <> asks,

> [...] I just noticed that the function -rnormal(mu,sig)- returns all
> missing values when sig = 0. I consider this a bug, since sometimes
> for debugging purposes it is convenient to set a particular variance
> component to zero. In other words, I would want -rnormal(mu,sig) to
> return a variable with all values equal to the `mu' when `sig' = 0.

I agree.

Moreover, the other random-variate generators should be willing to produce
constants when that is implied by the specified parameters.

We will take a look at the random-variate generators and make them tolerant of
these degenerate specifications.  Expect to see the change in a future
executable update.

-- Vince