RE: st: Debugging tool

From   Roy Wada <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Debugging tool
Date   Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:16:04 -0700

> This feature would be very useful for me.
>
> Howie Lempel
>
> I strongly, strongly, strongly support this request.
>
> Fred Wolfe
>
>> I would like to have a tool (say with set debug on) that shows (without set
>> trace on) after a command that ends in an error
>>
>> Wim van Putten

Debugging doesn't really bother me, but I would like to see universal
loop indicators accessible from inside the loops. In the following example,
myprogram doesn't know anything about the loops outside it.

for ... {
   for ... {
      myprogram ...
   }
}

You could manually pass that information to the program, but presumably
Stata already knows about the loops, and that inforamtion could be made
available to any embedded program that wishes to know (1) how far down it
is being embedded, (2) what is the name of counter/variable that is
used to operate the loops, and (3) what values are contained in those
counters.

Among other things this type of function could be useful for debugging.
It would tell you where you are, instead having you go through a trace
output.

Something like this is already available for byable programs in the form
of _byindex, _byvars, _byrc0, bylastcall( ), etc, so it's probably not
too far fetched.

Roy