st: AW: MLOGIT versus a set of LOGIT models

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: MLOGIT versus a set of LOGIT models
Date   Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:31:15 +0200

In the absence of a -version- statement, your code is problematic as it
still uses -xi- which has been superseded in Stata 11. Note the FAQ on this

I think you will get more/better answers if you frame your question in terms
of the example in the help file...

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Jon Heron
Gesendet: Dienstag, 18. August 2009 18:14
Betreff: st: MLOGIT versus a set of LOGIT models

 Dear all,

 I have always believed that the regression estimates from a multinomial
 regression model (MLOGIT) could be replicated through a set of simple
 logit models with the appropriately derived binary outcomes.

 Whilst attempting to demonstrate this fact for some teaching material on
 polytomous IRT that i am writing, I moved from my usual categorical
 predictors to a continuous covariate + discovered that the above
 did not hold.

 To ensure that this was not a fluke, I have since demonstrated that with
 the two simple models below, each with the same 4-level outcome and 4-level
 predictor, the former can be replicated with logits, but not the latter.

 xi: mlogit ghq1 i.ghq3, baseoutcome(0)
 mlogit ghq1 ghq3, baseoutcome(0)

 please can anyone put me out of my misery?

Dr Jon Heron
ALSPAC Stats Team Leader
Department of Social Medicine
University of Bristol