RE: st: AW: numeric format

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: AW: numeric format
Date   Fri, 14 Aug 2009 20:12:57 +0200

Nick`s code makes my original -gen id =_n<=5000- look ridiculous, as he has
only 1000 obs, and you want to replace it by

-gen byte id=1-

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Freitag, 14. August 2009 19:49
Subject: RE: st: AW: numeric format

-rnormal()- was introduced during the lifetime of Stata 10.

The FAQ new members are asked to read asks users to make clear whether they
are using an out-of-date version; the current version is 11.

The equivalent command for Stata 9.2 uses -invnormal(uniform())-

However, as you guessed, that detail is irrelevant to your problem.

This code worked for me with Stata 10.1. I no longer have Stata 9.2 on my

. clear

. set obs 1000
obs was 0, now 1000

. gen x=1e12

. gen id =_n<=5000

. table id, contents(mean x)

       id |    mean(x)
        1 |   1.00e+12

. table id, contents(mean x) /*
>   */ format(%18.0fc)

       id |            mean(x)
        1 |    999,999,995,904

Sandra Rayman

Thank for for the prompt reply. I am unable to follow the suggested
code exactly as the 'rnormal' part gives me an error message that it
is an unknown function (perhaps because I am using Stata 9.2).
However, looking through the rest of the suggested code I thought that
the key part might be 'format(%11.0fc)', so I tried this but still
without success. Specifically, I tried
table date race [fweight = weight], format(%15.0fc) and several
variations of this, but the numbers are still presented in exponential
format. What am I missing here?

Thanks for clarification or any other suggestions.

2009/8/14 Martin Weiss <>:

> clear*
> set obs 10000
> gen x=rnormal(10000000)