Re: st: using vector notation to simplify coding

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: using vector notation to simplify coding
Date   Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:34:08 +0100

This generated a lively and continuing discussion. This is just to point
out that -search array- points to an FAQ by William Gould. I suspect
that if he were writing that now he would say less about -while- and
more about -forvalues-.

Dan Waldo

I have data in monthly expenditures in variables ing_1 through ing_6,
and survey months in variables mes_1 through mes_6 (these vary from
respondent to respondent). I wish to adjust the monthly expenditures for
inflation, and I have deflation factors in variables def_1 through
def_12.

I am pretty accomplished in SAS, but only a novice in Stata. In SAS I
would say:

array def {12} def_1 - def_12;
array ing {6} ing_1 - ing_6;
array mes {6} mes_1 - mes_6;
do t=1 to 6;
   month=mes{t};
   ing{t}=ing{t}/def{month};
   end;

I have been searching unsuccessfully for the Stata analogue to this; I
am sure it is written somewhere and I am just not using the best search
terms.