RE: st: New Stata 11 version of -parmest- on SSC

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: New Stata 11 version of -parmest- on SSC
Date   Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:02:24 +0100

The time taken to update a package to Stata 11 depends on the package, and on what Stata 11 features you want it to use.

If you only want to change the on-line help to refer to the Stata 11 .pdf manuals, then indeed it might only take 5 minutes (see online help for -smcl- under -manlink- and -manhelp-). If you want to make your varlists take factor variables, then it might take a few minutes more (see -help syntax- and -help fvexpand- for details), and then it would be a good idea to certify your program to be sure that it works (see -help cscript- for details). However, if you want to take advantage of the new factor variable facilities so as to read the column labels of an estimates vector and work out what factors and values are involved, then you really need to type

help undocumented

and read all references beginning with -_ms_- (short for "matrix stripe") before doing any programming.

And it is very, very helpful to have access to Statalist, and to be able to send any really advanced enquiries there, where they will be answered very helpfully by StataCorp people, even though they have been very busy recently getting Stata 11 in a fit state for use by ordinary users. (Thanks again to Vince and Alan for all the help.)

Best wishes

Roger

Roger B Newson BSc MSc DPhil
Lecturer in Medical Statistics