st: AW: using vector notation to simplify coding

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: using vector notation to simplify coding
Date   Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:07:04 +0200

Welcome to the Stata community! Could you give a meaningful excerpt of your
data, then? Your task sounds easily doable w/o explicitly resorting to

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Dan Waldo
Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. August 2009 15:58
An: statalist
Betreff: st: using vector notation to simplify coding

Dear Statalist members,

I have data in monthly expenditures in variables ing_1 through ing_6, and
survey months in variables mes_1 through mes_6 (these vary from respondent
to respondent). I wish to adjust the monthly expenditures for inflation, and
I have deflation factors in variables def_1 through def_12.

I am pretty accomplished in SAS, but only a novice in Stata. In SAS I would

array def {12} def_1 - def_12;
array ing {6} ing_1 - ing_6;
array mes {6} mes_1 - mes_6;
do t=1 to 6;

I have been searching unsuccessfully for the Stata analogue to this; I am
sure it is written somewhere and I am just not using the best search terms.

Will somebody please point me to the proper place?

Do You Yahoo!?