st: using vector notation to simplify coding

From   Dan Waldo <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: using vector notation to simplify coding
Date   Tue, 11 Aug 2009 06:58:18 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Statalist members,

I have data in monthly expenditures in variables ing_1 through ing_6, and survey months in variables mes_1 through mes_6 (these vary from respondent to respondent). I wish to adjust the monthly expenditures for inflation, and I have deflation factors in variables def_1 through def_12.

I am pretty accomplished in SAS, but only a novice in Stata. In SAS I would say:

array def {12} def_1 - def_12;
array ing {6} ing_1 - ing_6;
array mes {6} mes_1 - mes_6;
do t=1 to 6;

I have been searching unsuccessfully for the Stata analogue to this; I am sure it is written somewhere and I am just not using the best search terms.

Will somebody please point me to the proper place?

Do You Yahoo!?