Re: AW: st: How to use the marco names?

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: AW: st: How to use the marco names?
Date   Thu, 06 Aug 2009 13:21:29 -0500

You are correct in pointing out that in your example Stata strips isolated opening " but not such closing ", which also appears directly in

. display "c

However, I've not been bit by this while I've been using Stata. It's a small feature.

Nick wrote:

Nick and Martin, thank you very much!

Just as Nick pointed, I recognized my confusion was the use of -di-. However, I do need learn the use of -macro- too.

A doubt appears when learning the use of -di-. What is the difference between "" and `""'? In -di- help,I guess the only difference is the latter allows embedded quotes, am I right?

Additionally, there is a small question below.
. foreach i in a" "b" "c {
  2. di `"`i'"'
  3. }
Where is the quote before c. Namely, I think the result should be