Re: st: counts with censorship

From   Evans Jadotte <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: counts with censorship
Date   Thu, 06 Aug 2009 17:37:52 +0200

Eduardo Nunez wrote:
Stata/SE 11.0 for Windows (64-bit x86-64)
Born 13 Jul 2009

Hi all,

I would appreciate if someone can advise me on the best way to analyse
and endpoint that is based on counts with censoring mechanism. It has
been suggested in heart failure trials to use as endpoint "days alive
and out of the hospital" in order to evaluate new treatment
modalities. This composite endpoint is supposed to capture the burden
of mortality and hospital stay (for rehospitalization) during the
follow-up period. Patients will be censored either by death or lost to
follow--up. I was thinking in censored-poisson, although I doubt the
day-counts follows a poisson distribution. Moreover, using simple
regression analysis won't take into account the censoring mechanisms.

Regards,

Eduardo Nunez, MD, MPH
Servicio de Cardiología, Hospital Clínico Universitario, Universitat
de Valencia., Spain

An overdispersion test (mean different from variance) can help you determine whether your day-counts follow a Poisson distribution or not. If variance out the outcome is different from the mean, then a 'truncated negative binomial' model will fit your data better.

Hope this helps,

Evans