st: row number corresponding to a column maximum

From   Gabi Huiber <>
Subject   st: row number corresponding to a column maximum
Date   Tue, 28 Jul 2009 16:32:34 -0400

Hi everybody,

Doesn't look like this made it to the list the first time around, so
here's hoping for better luck:

How do you make Stata return the row number that corresponds to the
maximum value in a given column, in Mata or Stata?

I'm doing this because I want to extract the value of interest from
the matrix saved by a cluster stop command.

For an example, see the table at the top of page 158 in [MV] -- Stata
10. I want to get at the "Number of clusters" (4) that corresponds to
the highest "Calinski/Harabasz pseudo-F" value (337.10).

Thank you,