Re: st: chi squared test for trend

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: chi squared test for trend
Date   Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:28:38 +0100

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Rune Nielsen<> wrote:
> Dear all!
> I've tried searching the archives concerning this without finding it
> explicitly.
> I've got two categorical variables, one ordered with three groups, and the
> other as an dichotomous outcome. Can I use the nptrend command to test for
> trend of proportion over the three (ordered) groups?

Yes you can.  You may find the Wikipedia article and the references it
cites informative...

"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data." ~ John Tukey (1986), "Sunset salvo". The American
Statistician 40(1).

Email -
Website -
Photos -