st: RE: frequency bar charts of string variables

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: frequency bar charts of string variables
Date   Wed, 22 Jul 2009 17:32:12 +0100

There are commands to do this, which I presume is what you want. In
official Stata it is not too difficult. First read in suitable data

. sysuse auto
(1978 Automobile Data)

Suppose that -foreign- were a string variable, which we can simulate

. decode foreign, gen(Foreign)

Now go

. gen one = 1

. graph hbar (sum) one, over(Foreign) ytitle(frequency)

However, the user-written command -catplot- from SSC may prove more

. catplot hbar Foreign

For -hbar- read also -bar-, for vertical versions usually more difficult
to read.

Florian Wakolbinger

is there an option in stata to draw bar charts of string variables, i.e.

if the variable contains 40 "yes" and 60 "no", to draw a chart with two
bars of height 40 and 60?

to put it differently, is there an option to visualize the results of
the command tab varname