Re: st: Switching from SPSS to Stata

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Switching from SPSS to Stata
Date   Sun, 19 Jul 2009 10:48:47 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Sat, 18/7/09, Yves_Therriault wrote:
> I'm particulary interested to hear about the experience of
> former strong Spss users who decided to switch to Stata.
> Beside the fact Stata has much more statistical procedures,
> is more powerful, and is much less expensive to buy (as we
> don't have to purchase add-on modules to get "a complete set"
> of statistical procedures), for what reasons did you decide
> to do so ?  I
> would be very grateful if you could give me a few reasons
> that could help me to convince the administration department
> here to purchase Stata instead of the next release of Spss
> (version 18.0)

Quite an extensive comparison of Stata, SPSS(, and SAS) can
be found here:

Another thing you can do is go either to the Stata Conference
in Washington DC on July 30-31 or to the Canadian Stata Users'
Meeting in Toronto on October 22, especially if you have a
list concerns that may live in your organization. There will
be many power-users of Stata and Stata developers there who
will be more than willing to think with you to find solutions.
More about these meetings can be found here:

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen