st: Problem with -margeff-

From   James Shaw <>
Subject   st: Problem with -margeff-
Date   Thu, 9 Jul 2009 07:26:57 -0500

Dear Statalist,

I was using -margeff- and found that it would ignore the set values
for continuous variables when computing marginal effects.  This
appears to have been a bug in the 4/22/05 version that was fixed in
-margeff8- (2/10/06).  -margeff8- appears to produce the correct
marginal effects for continuous variables when they are fixed at
specific values.

On another note, the latest version of -margeff- (4/20/08) does not
seem to allow one to fix variables at specific values when computing
marginal effects.  I have no trouble calculating effects at the means
with the "at(mean)" option.  However, I receive an error message
"Invalid at() option: [fixed value for first regressor in list] must
not found" when computing effects at specific fixed values.

James W. Shaw, Ph.D., Pharm.D., M.P.H.
Assistant Professor
Department of Pharmacy Administration
College of Pharmacy
University of Illinois at Chicago
833 South Wood Street, M/C 871, Room 252
Chicago, IL 60612
Tel.: 312-355-5666
Fax: 312-996-0868
Mobile Tel.: 215-852-3045