st: RE: Creating a Non-Self Mean & Proportions

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Creating a Non-Self Mean & Proportions
Date   Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:30:24 +0100

A meta-question here is why no one has replied to this since it was
posted. An answer to that is that trying to work out what is wanted
requires too much effort. Why not give an example of your data? Why make
everyone try to imagine what you have?

Anyway, my guesses are:

1. You have a long data structure with personal id (say -id-) and
stratum id (say -stratum-). (One stratum, several strata.)

2. You have a variable (say -score-) with values 0,1,2. (What that
variable represents, how many negative attitudes the others in the
stratum have, it seems, is not important here.)

3. You want to summarize the fractions of 0, 1, 2 in each stratum.

If these guesses are all correct, then one answer is

bysort stratum score : gen freq = _N
by stratum: gen total = freq / _N

You may also want to -collapse- the data.

If these guesses are wrong, you may need to try again with more
information.

Emmanuel Koku

I have created a summed scale of 2 dichotomous items coded originally
0 1.  The new variable now has values ranging from 0 to 2.

Since I am using a survey that I want to create summary measures like
non-self mean or non-self proportions that represent other members of
the respondents strata but excluding the respondent. Eg. I would want
to know the proportion of the respondents strata who hold no negative
attitudes - ie 0 in the summed scale; the proportion who hold only one
of the negative attitudes, ie, 1 in the summed scale as well as those
members of the strata who hold both negative values or 2 in the summed
scale.

Through help received here and from a statafaq article, i have been
able to create similar summary measures for dichotomous items, but i'm
stumped with this 3-category variable, and would appreciate any
assistance.