Re: st: AW: RE: AW: Big set of 1x1 matrices into scalar - how to do fast?

Subject   Re: st: AW: RE: AW: Big set of 1x1 matrices into scalar - how to do fast?
Date   Mon, 22 Jun 2009 09:27:00 -0400

Sylke V. Schnepf:
You are generating and summarizing unnecessarily, so fixing that will
speed things up considerably.  Doing the calculations with one big
matrix in Mata will not, probably, unless you can put the calculations
needed to make the thousands of individual matrices in Mata as well:

clear all
sysuse auto
forv c=1/10 {
 mat b=nullmat(b), `=uniform()'
}
mat li b
forv i=1/74 {
 forv c=1/10 {
  mat Xi`i'=nullmat(Xi`i'), `=uniform()'
 }
}
g result=.
set rmsg on
forvalues i = 1(1)74 {
mat c`i'= b*Xi`i''
capture drop c
quietly gen c= el(c`i',1,1)
quietly sum c
quietly replace result=r(mean) in `i'
drop c
}
su result
replace result=.
forv i = 1/74 {
 mat c`i'= b*Xi`i''
 qui replace result=`=el(c`i',1,1)' in `i'
}
su result
replace result=.
mata
r=(74,0,.)
st_view(r, ., ("result"))
b=st_matrix("b")
X=J(0,10,.)
for (i=1;i<=74;i++) X=X\st_matrix(sprintf("Xi%1.0f",i))
end
su result
set rmsg off