st: Re: graph hbox

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: graph hbox
Date   Thu, 11 Jun 2009 22:08:21 +0200

Leave the options as they are, and it will work. Do not ask me for the reasoning behind it...

sysuse bplong, clear
graph box bp, yli(150) yla(100(40)180)
graph hbox bp, yli(150) yla(100(40)180)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elizabeth Allred" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:58 PM
Subject: st: graph hbox

I always seem to have difficulty with Stata graphics.

I'm drawing several box and whiskers plots. I want to mark a critical value on each plot and I want the axes and tick marks to be the same on all of them. Given that my grouping variable has 6 categories and the labels are rather long, hbox(horizontal boxes) rather than box (vertical boxes) gives I nicer picture. However, I find I am unable to mark a critical value with a vertical line nor am I able to specify tick marks when I use hbox.

This works fine:
graph box px, over(nxs) yline(70) ylab(50(20)160)

This does not:
graph hbox px, over(nxs) xline(70) xlab(50(20)160)

I see absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be "symmetry" in these commands.

Would somebody suggest a workaround?