st: graph hbox

From   "Elizabeth Allred" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: graph hbox
Date   Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:58:09 -0400

I always seem to have difficulty with Stata graphics.

I'm drawing several box and whiskers plots. I want to mark a critical value on each plot and I want the axes and tick marks to be the same on all of them. Given that my grouping variable has 6 categories and the labels are rather long, hbox(horizontal boxes) rather than box (vertical boxes) gives I nicer picture. However, I find I am unable to mark a critical value with a vertical line nor am I able to specify tick marks when I use hbox.

This works fine:
graph box px, over(nxs) yline(70) ylab(50(20)160)

This does not:
graph hbox px, over(nxs) xline(70) xlab(50(20)160)

I see absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be "symmetry" in these commands.

Would somebody suggest a workaround?