Re: st: AW: Robust vs Cluster errors using xtreg fe in Stata10

From   Carolina Lennon <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: Robust vs Cluster errors using xtreg fe in Stata10
Date   Tue, 9 Jun 2009 15:17:00 +0200

Many thanks Martin and Austin!
I am new in this list and I am greatly surprised by your fast and
helpful response !

Then, what I learnt is that, differently form Stata 9, in Stata10 the
robust and cluster options are identical for the "xtreg fe"
regressions.

It seems that I need to read the article of Stock and Watson! to see
why it is always required to adjust for cluster in order to correct SE
for Heteroskedasticity in FE estimations.

Previously, I thought that sometimes it could be not advisable to
implement cluster errors but still to implement robust errors (then,
the utility of having the two options separately). For instances,
when  the number of observations were higher enough but either the
number of clusters was lower than 50 or the number of explanatory
variables exceeded the number of clusters. In any case, the response
might be in the article! then many thanks again!

Carolina

2009/6/9 Martin Weiss <[email protected]>:

> <>
>
> Ok, cheers, that explains the observation that Stata 9 gave different
> results...
>

> HTH
> Martin

Carolina Lennon

Mobile in France: (33) 06 35 34 04 40
Mobile in Austria:  (43) 06 76 59 24 553
Office at Wiiw in Vienna:  (43) 01 533 66 10 86
Institute website: http://www.wiiw.ac.at
Personal website: http://carolina.lennon.research.googlepages.com/