Re: st: Modeling repeated events with a continuous outcome

Subject   Re: st: Modeling repeated events with a continuous outcome
Date   Thu, 4 Jun 2009 11:54:26 -0400

Ian Sue Wing <[email protected]> :
How about -poisson- or -glm- with location fixed effects (and cluster
by location)?

Who is doing the investing?  Multiple agents or one?  Are people
choosing from a finite set of locations to make a required investment,
or picking a level of investment in each place more or less
independently of their investments in other places?  Do you have
time-varying characteristics of locations and investors?  You might
want to hook up with an economist who runs this kind of model (there
are a lot of them in your town) and is willing to discuss empirical
strategies (fewer of those, I guess).  Or google "fdi location" or
somesuch to get a sense of what some folks do.  The trouble is, there
are a hundred different theoretical and statistical models that might
fit what you describe below, and the empirical strategy should fit
what you believe to be true about the data-generating process, and
that last part comes from theory.

You can relax the assumptions of -poisson- with fixed effects and
robust SE in several directions, but I assert without proof that it is
a good starting point.  You model expected investment in location i at
time t E(y_it) as a function exp(Xb) so you get estimates of point
elasticities or semi-elasticities. My guess is that a dollar of
investment is not much different than zero in your setting; if that is
not true, maybe a different type of model is in order.