Re: st: Multilevel models with plausible values as dependent variable

Subject   Re: st: Multilevel models with plausible values as dependent variable
Date   Fri, 29 May 2009 12:17:09 -0400

Nailing Xia <[email protected]> :
Instead of using -pv-, first -reshape- the data so that each plausible
value is a separate observation (on a person? are these math test
scores?) and specify that as another level (multiple observations on a
unit at a point in time) in -gllamm- etc. You may also want to weight
by the variance of plausible outcomes, taking account of the greater
uncertainty in some units' plausible values--see e.g.
 http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2005-10/msg00079.html
though this would be more of an issue if you were to take the mean of
the plausible values as your outcome variable rather than using each
as a separate observation (AFAIK you can only have one weight for each
observation in Stata, not separate precision and sampling weights as
in HLM, so I would multiply them all together and treat as pweights if
you take this approach).

You may want to check you get the same answer using my -reshape-
approach in the unweighted case...  I have never used the user-written
-pv- but some experimentation may be required to get matching results.
-pv- seems to take various different approaches to combining
estimates, and I have not looked up its references--maybe you can
provide us some more context on your data.

You did not answer: if the only random effect is the intercept, why
not use fixed effects?  If you are not trying to estimate variability
in heterogeneous coefficients, go with the method that requires fewer
assumptions.  Or do you not have multiple points in time for each
unit?

You can't treat your sampling weights as frequency weights to -expand-
for other reasons (inappropriate variance estimates).