RE: st: Missing outcome variables - how to deal with these? OR moels and reality

From   "Stephen Soldz" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Missing outcome variables - how to deal with these? OR moels and reality
Date   Sun, 24 May 2009 09:01:59 -0400

cases we pretend that the data are MAR, even though we know that is
unlikely. But, I think we have to realize that this is a RESEARCH question,
not a statistical one. After all, our statistical models typically make all
kinds of assumptions (random selection in many cases, normality, etc.), some
of which are testable and some of which are not. Even when testable, the
tests are often inadequate.

Our stayistical models are just guides. The data analyses based upon these
models are always flawed. The real question is not "what is the correct
model?" But, rather, "is this model close enough to the real world phenomena
of interest that I can reasonable trust the results?"

The latter question is always one that goes beyond statistics. We apply
various supplementary analyses, statistical "tests," knowledge about the
likely nature of the data from other experiences, and other knowledge about
the real-world phenomena to make such judgments.

I believe that we are always doing this. However, we are often not very
consciously aware of it. Our language and our publishing traditions militate
against it. We talk of "correct  models", as if such ever exist. Philosopher
Nancy Cartright (How the Laws of Physics Lie) made a strong argument that
correct models do not even exist in physics. Jan de Leeuw made related
arguments in data analysis.

Our publications also encourage talk of such things, despite our awareness
that they are, at best, approximations. How many have assumed data is MAR,
knowing full well that that was unlikely, but also knowing that publication
depends upon that fiction?

These issuess are why data analysis is always a craft. We implicitly look
for signs that the analyst/researcher is savvy enough to have performed many
checks along the way. For example, many sophisticated analysts using such
techniques as Structural Equation Modelling or Multilevel Modeling, will
usually examine simpler models that are known to be "incorrect," as a check
upon the allegedly more "correct", but more complex model. Any major
discrepancies are then examined. We then erase the evidence of our doubts
from the finished product.

So, all of the techniques proposed -- dummy variables for missing (despite
known problems), assuming MAR, and using external data -- are potential ways
of asssessing the nature of the phenemonon. After all, we are more
interested in knowing about the world than bout our models per se.

Stephen Soldz
Director, Center for Research, Evaluation, and Program Development
Boston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis
1581 Beacon St.
Brookline, MA 02446
[email protected]